Saturday, May 9, 2009

Renaissance Festival

Since we are studying the middle ages--we had to go to the Renaissance Festival. (It runs this weekend and next. For more info check out their website utahrenfest.com. I believe they have one every year.)

The kids went in costume. Elliot was a knight and Molly and Jill were princesses (as usual!).
Elliot was excited to see all the other knights in full armor and watch the displays of real swordfighting.We tried out some huge turkey legs for lunch.
And the kids rode ponies while they waited for the featured event...
Jousting!!

Here is the squire helping the knight to put on his helmet and extra chest protection.
The knights clashed.
And clashed again, until their lances were all broken (they had 4 each.)
It was really cool to watch. And unbelievably loud when their lances broke. I was amazed that anyone was crazy enough to want to ride at a full gallop while aiming 8 foot long wooden poles straight at each other! (I wondered what their insurances rates are like!)

Okay, one more picture, but it is kind of inappropriate, so if you are reading this with your little people, you should send them out of the room for a drink or something.

Dave and I saw these and could not stop laughing.

Obviously designed by a man, no woman would ever want them.

And seriously, you males out there, what is the appeal here, besides the see-through factor? I'll tell you my theory; if you are the kind of person who makes stuff like this--you are probably reading too many fantasy novels.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun day! I remember going to the Renaissance Festival in California. It was always a blast. I LOVE Elliot's costume. I bet he was in heaven with all the sword fighting/jousting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! It is fun that you were able to head up to the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Comfort AND support. All I'd ever need in a bra.

    ReplyDelete