Monday, August 31, 2009

Protecting my babies

I read this statistic in the September 2009 issue of Parents Magazine:

For every hour of adult content that kids ages 6-8 watched over a
two-day period, their chances of having sex as young adolescents increased by 33 percent.


This study came from the Center on Media and Child Health at Children's Hospital Boston. I would like to read the full study.

These are my babies. I worry constantly about giving them a leg up in this promiscuous society. I want them to be happy and have good marriages. I think I will continue along the current path of being extremely protective of what they watch. Some people believe that they have to be exposed to it to be able to deal with it. I agree. It's just that I think the older they are when they are exposed, the better. I want my children to be sensitive, not desensitized.

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I agree, but I think that kids are exposed to promiscuous things a lot earlier nowadays. It amazes me how much kids know at a younger and younger age. It is sad. I understand wanting to protect your kids, but I think that we are going to have to have talks with them about such things sooner than we want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny because the people that say we should expose are kids to stuff are the same people who are trying to figure out why kids are getting pregnant earlier and why drugs are now a problem in Elementary school. It baffles me how seemingly intelligent people can have absolutely zero common sense. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that 2+2 =4! Hey have you seen that thing about Obama addressing school age children on Sept. 8th. Weird. They have lesson plans and everything for the teachers to prepare the kids by learning about why we should listen to politicians...and that is just for k-6 the older kid lesson plans are printed straight from the "How to Convert to Socialism in 10 Easy Steps" Wacky...sorry just a thought that kind of goes along with the morons that think we should expose our kids to stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Your kids at their ages have absolutely no reason to be watching anything with adult content (what adult even does!?!). I would be the same if I had kids.

    This is assuming we are referring to adult content being sex/violence/language, etc. I remember as a kid (probably 7 or 8) watching shows with my family, like Dr. Quinn (the first one I can think of off the top of my head). Those dealt with adult issues (getting pregnant when not married, beatings, I don't remember everything else, but the list goes on.), but not in an adult way, if that makes sense. It was never graphic (it was a family-oriented show, after all!), it just presented the issues. I remember asking my parents questions about what the show was portraying, why that was wrong, and discussing those issues. And as a result, I was very comfortable talking to my parents about things I saw in real life, like what other kids were doing in school and understanding how I should deal with those decisions the other kids made.

    So, in conclusion, I totally agree with making sure kids don't watch anything inappropriate. I don't see any point in exposing them early to things they don't need to know. But I do find value in them watching something perhaps more mature, to help them as questions and reason out why people do what they do. I hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right on! I too want sensitive children, not ones that are desensitized. My children rarely watch anything but PBS or QUBO. I don't even watch t.v. anymore since I've started school--no time! I think that books are a much better way to expose children to the "world". Children are so sensitive to visual images like television. Books create pictures in our head that can also be real, but are more easily erased or changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought of this as we walked the Vegas strip last night- Naughty pics on the ground RIGHT at eye level for the boys. I kept saying "woah!! look up at that... look at this...." They are too young right now to have to deal with ANY of that. However, when the time is right they will be educated {age appropriatly} so that I can be the one to explain other than someone else. I def. have it easier with boys though. I think. I think girls would be harder to go into all that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang! That's pretty bad. Glad we don't watch much of anything around here! I heard another stat that if a father is into porn, his son is twice as likely also to get into it. Pretty bad considering how many people are into it now that it is so available!

    ReplyDelete